cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can static routes with a DHCP learned next hop be tracked with IP SLA?

darthnul
Level 1
Level 1

I need to track a static route with IP SLA in order to facilitate a backup connection. The static route needs to use the next-hop learned from the DHCP provided default route.

I know I can track the DHCP provided default route but that doesn't help. The default route from DHCP is overridden by OSPF anyway. I need a more specific static route to my GRE destination address to prevent route recursion which results in the GRE tunnel shutting down.

I can use the "dhcp" keyword in the static route but when I do that, the "track" keyword is no longer available. Is there any way around this?

4 Replies 4

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The configuration is different:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html#wp1069967

Be aware of CSCef87827 so you should use 12.3(14)T, 12.4(3), 12.4(2)T or later

HTH

Laurent.

Thanks for the reply but that won't do it. That will cause the single router learned via dhcp to be tracked. It does not help to track static routes that use the "dhcp" keyword instead of a next-hop address.

I'll probably end up doing an ip sla triggered eem applet to remove/re-install the route if I can't find a cleaner way to do this.

Yes it will. The bug Id I gave you fixed this issue and the static routes are now tracked as well.

Laurent.

Thanks!

The router with the issue is now running 12.4(24)T1 but somebody may have upgraded it since I spotted the issue a couple of weeks ago. It's a sandbox router in the lab. I switched to static IPs to work through some other more pressing problems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card