Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1: UT issue

mwynen
Level 1
Level 1

Hy.

I'm wondering why UT doesn't show the IP addresses belonging to the found mac adresses for some devices. It seems that CM isn't able to read the arp table, but disribution and access switches both seem to be managed correctly.

How can this occur and how can I correct it?

cheers

Marc

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

UT only reads the ARP tables from routers or layer 3 switches which are configured for routing. Make sure the router for the VLAN on which the end hosts sit is properly Data Collected, and shows up with a green icon (not a ?) on the Campus Topology Map.

Yes, that's correct. The distribution switches are configured for routing (Catalyst 6513) and seem to be as well managed as the access switches (device type is shown, inventory and config are collected by RME).

But are these switches showing up with green switch icons on the Campus Topology Map? Post the show run and show ver from one of these switches as well as the NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/RouterData.xml file.

Yes, they are showing up with green icons.

This switch is not routing. If you had:

ip routing

Configured, you would be using an ip route instead of an ip default-gateway. Campus sees this as a layer 2 switch, and will not poll its ARP table. You can confirm this by walking the ipForwarding object. That object needs to return 1 in order for Campus to see the device as a layer 3 device.

Yes for sure. This is an access switch, not a distribution switch. Thought you wanted an access switch. Sorry for that misunderstanding.

Here's the information from a distri.

This all checks out. Campus recognizes the switch as a layer 3 device, and UT will pull its ARP cache. I believe you may be seeing a bug relating to old or missing IP info in UT which is fixed in 5.1.3. If believe you are currently running Campus 5.1.0. I suggest you upgrade, then run a new Campus Data Collection followed by a new UT acquisition, and see if the missing IP info is shown.

You're right, we're using CM 5.1.0. But CS Software Update always tells me that there is no newer version available at cisco.com. Can you please tell me where to get those updates manually? Can't find them at CCO.

You can download the updates from http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-campus .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: