cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVL200, E-mail alert

ernesto52
Level 1
Level 1

I tryed to receive Log mails from this device. Does this function really match?

Is there any restriction on type of mailservers, i.e. smtp.provider.de or mail.provider.de?

Does the provider normally accept the E-mail Authentication from RVL200 in the same wise as on MS Outlook name@provider.de and there used password?

What about the Firewall-settings should I create a new access rule?

Firewall:     allow all traffic LAN any source, any destination

deny all traffic WAN

RVL 200 Firmware 1.1.7

5 Replies 5

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ernesto,

Page 10 of the Admin Guide specifiies how this is configured and various error messages you may receive for incorrect configurations.  Per the Admin Guide it is SMTP based by the way.  Not sure you really need to create an access rule for it to work, especially if other email apps work behind it.

Regards,

Glenn

Dear Glenn!

Thank you for your message. But there is no more information as I even had. I configured the "E-Mail alert" in the described way. Also I tried it with 2 new access-rules for other smtp-ports.

What I know: There is no incoming mail from RVL200 on my mail server. And, if I type in a wrong smtp-address, I get the message in the system- log "Mail sending to name@provider.de failed!"

In this way, I cannot see if the device sends a mail and where the malfunction is, on the side of the RVL200 or on the mail server's.

Please, can you tell me how I can get further information on the Mail alert function and/or how I can test this function on my device?

Sincerely yours,

Ernst

Ernesto,

Are you running a mail server internally on your network or are you using a hosted server outside the network?  Either way you should try using the IP address of the SMTP server.  Also have you tried it with and without authentication?  Lastly, currenlty the RVL200 only supports NTLM Authentication for Microsoft Exchange server on the SMTP server, so this may be cause of your issue.

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn,

I tried it with and without authentication, both with no result. Further I can't find out if my mail provider suppots NTLM, I think, it doesn't.

But I found a SMTP- provider, the company "smtp.com" (www.smtp.com). The priovider's SMTP address is "smtp.com". Does this address match on RVL200? This provider needs no authentication, but using this provider, I need for identification a sender address. Does RVL200 dispatch a sender- address within the log mail?

Regards,

Ernst

Ernesto,

Any provider you use will have to support NTLM as that's what the RVL200 supports today if Authentication is required.  The RVL200 does require you to input a 'sender' address so I would assume this is what you are referring to?  Not really clear why this is not working for you at this point.  I would suggest you reach out to the Small Business Support Center (SBCS) for some in-depth troubleshooting from their end to help you make sure it's not a devcie issue.

Best Regards,

Glenn

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: