cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5K w/4.1(3) "default interface"

russellra
Level 1
Level 1

Got two new boxes that I am thoroughly impressed with. What am I missing? I want to reset Ethernet interfaces to default status as in IOS: (config)# default interface f0/1 <cr>. I've search command reference syntax high and low. I've learned more of the CLI trying to find something that would return an interface configuration to its default. Which is good but... I do not trust issuing a set of 'no' prefixes to configuration lines. That is not smart in IOS and I suspect not in NX-OS also. Help. Thanks.

10 Replies 10

xcz504d1114
Level 4
Level 4

Global config "no interface "

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios_xr_sw/iosxr_r3.4/interfaces/command/reference/hr34eswt.html#wpmkr1122594

"To delete a Fast Ethernet interface configuration, use the no form of this command."

HTH,

Craig

Craig, thanks for the suggestion but this syntax fails on the Nexus with 4.1.3. I'm still looking. I'll likely be embarrased with the obvious simplicity once I/we find it. - R

Having the same issue.

Would really like the piece of mind of being able to easily set these interfaces back to their default state.

Nicholas Taube
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had any luck yet with a "default interface" command on the Nexus platform?

This has been a question of mine since day one and I have yet to find an answer.  The "no int instance" is not a working command on the Nexus.

iceteanolemon
Level 5
Level 5

I try to do a "no interface" and get negative results. It does however let me step my way through the command which makes me think it was layed out to be the command to make work. It just doesnt work though

No default interface no "no interface" i cannot do anything to clear it in one command?

VB6-DC-CR003(config)# no interface e1/10

^

Invalid range at '^' marker.

VB6-DC-CR003(config)# no interface ?

ethernet      Ethernet IEEE 802.3z

loopback      Loopback interface

mgmt          Management interface

port-channel  Port Channel interface

vlan          Vlan interface

VB6-DC-CR003(config)# no interface ethernet ?

<1-18>  Slot number

VB6-DC-CR003(config)# no interface ethernet 1?

/       Slash separator

<1-18>  Slot number

VB6-DC-CR003(config)# no interface ethernet 1/?

<1-128>  Port number

VB6-DC-CR003(config)# no interface ethernet 1/10?

,        Multi range separator

-        Range separator

.        Sub interface separator

<1-128>  Port number

VB6-DC-CR003(config)# no interface ethernet 1/10

^

n7000-s1-dk9.4.2.1

I don't suppose anyone has answered this, but I am finding the same issue on version 5.0(3) on the N7010.  Please post if you know how to put an interface into a defaulted state (I give points!).

Thanks,

Mike

For n5k, there is no feature added for this yet (although there has been talk of syncing the feature added by n7k developers).

For n7k, you'll get this feature when 5.1.1 comes out.  The feature request "CSCsz17197" accomplishes this, although the bug info shows some misleading information.  It is NOT YET available in any releases on cisco.com, as of today.

I tested this on pre-launch code, and it DOES exist (global config mode) with CLI of:

RP_7k1(config)# default interface ethernet 2/2?
  ,        Multi range separator
  -        Range separator
  .        Sub interface separator
  <1-128>  Port/slot number

RP_7k1(config)# default interface ethernet 2/2

For now, you should be able to issue "switchport" or "no switchport" (depending on your current state) to flap it back to a vanilla config.

ex: If currently in "router port" mode, then issue "switchport", and then "no switchport" to get it back into routed mode, but with a vanilla config.

Unfortunately, this workaround does not work on n5k.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Thanks Robert.

Cheers,

Mike

haidar_alm
Level 1
Level 1

Having the same issue on our N5Ks running version: 4.2(1)N1(1).

Has this been resolved int later versions?

Output:

N5K_CR1(config)# no interface ethernet ?

<1-255>  Slot/chassis number

N5K_CR1(config)# no interface ethernet 101?

/        Slash separator

<1-255>  Slot/chassis number

N5K_CR1(config)# no interface ethernet 101/?

<1-128>  Port/slot number

N5K_CR1(config)# no interface ethernet 101/1/?

<1-48>  Port number

N5K_CR1(config)# no interface ethernet 101/1/31 ?

,      Multi range separator

-      Range separator

N5K_CR1(config)# no interface ethernet 101/1/31

^

N5K_CR1(config)#

N5K_CR1(config)#

Havin

daniel.herrmann
Level 1
Level 1

Based on my answer on NetworkEngineering@StackExchange, I post the same answer here:

---

It actually depends on the NX-OS version running on the switch (and hence the switch model). Starting with version 6.0(2)N2(1), the default interface command has been added to the nexus world. Compare the release notes of this version.

As far as I know, previous versions do not support this or any similar command.

However you won't be able to run NX-OS 6 or later on the 5010 or 5020 platform, it requires the 55xx platform.

---

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco