Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 (bridge # protocol ieee)

Caue W
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I'm actually working in a migration from a 5500 switch to a new 6509 Switch, and one of the features (that customer think it's not in use anymore, but anyway, he needs it migrated to the new 6509-E Switch) is the bridge protocol...

Every piece of the configuration seens to work fine, except for the protocol ieee:

bridge 2 protocol ieee

Instead of "ieee" I only have options for DEC, IBM and VLAN-BRIDGE, but no IEEE.

I've saw on Cisco Website (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ibm/command/reference/ibm_b1.html#wp1011832) that the IEEE was based on the DEC protocol, so I'm thinking of going for it and see what happens.

IOS upgrade (at least for now) is out of question, switch is working already, and will not be able to do any upgrade now.

Any advice?! DEC will work fine?!

Here's the rest of the configuration, just in case:

source-bridge ring-group 600

dlsw local-peer peer-id 10.96.0.111

dlsw remote-peer 0 tcp 10.52.0.121

dlsw remote-peer 0 tcp 10.52.0.131

dlsw duplicate-path-bias load-balance

dlsw timer explorer-wait-time 3

dlsw bridge-group 2

And the hardware:

Switch: 6509-E

Supervisor: WS-SUP32-GE-3B

IOS: s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-vz.122-18.SXF16.bin

Thanks!!!!

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Caue,

according to feature navigator DLSW+ is supported with your IOS image and your hardware.

So I would give a try to dec as STP protocol for the bridge-group.

However, I see the following:

dlsw duplicate-path-bias load-balance

that make me think there is L2 redundancy so it may be safer to try it in a maintanance window

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe!

I will try that...

But it's a huge fail if Cisco says that it supports everything and leave the most used protocol out of the IOS... I just can't believe that!

Anyway... I'll give a shot and let you know!

Cheers,

Caue Wailemann

Hello Caue,

in any case you can move the DLSW on a software based router if you have problems with the C6500.

test in a maintanance window.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The "ieee" protocol is supported on switchports. Even on the 5k, it was not recommended to use ieee on the RSM btw, check the "fall back bridging" section of this old document for an explanation: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps679/products_tech_note09186a00800a7af2.shtml#fallback

I recommend you use the vlan-bridge protocol instead. It has been designed on purpose for being run on the L3 interfaces of a bridge.

Regards,

Francois

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: