cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 720 SUP redundancy

TimpoSpawar724
Level 1
Level 1

Got a 6500 with dual 720. currently the secondary sup shows a cold state. i know this means that two sups are running different IOS images.

when i check the file system the primary boots off of the sup-bootdisk:, but on the secondary there is no slavesup-bootdisk:, just slavedisk1:

question is do both of the sup's have to have the ios image located on the same storage device.

4 Replies 4

xcz504d1114
Level 4
Level 4

No, they boot from seperate storage devices. If your primary sup fails, then your secondary would not have access to the flash of the failed sup.

I don't have a 6500 with redundant sups (mine are VSS), but my 4510R's show a slavebootflash:

Where is the current ios stored that the slave is pointed to? Is it on slavedisk1?

Craig

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Eddie,

there shouldn't be this requirement it should be enough for them to run the same image name and version.

this information is carried in packets exchanged in the redundancy protocol between the two supervisors.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

sorry did not explain this correctly.

the bootvar is set to boot the ios image from the sup-bootdisk:. The secondary does not have slavesup-bootdisk:, instead the ios image is stored on the slavedisk1:

attached is the output from the show file sys command.

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Eddie,

Try using sup-bootflash: for your bootstrings. You will want to have your IOS stored on the same location on BOTH supervisors (such as disk0: or sup-bootflash:).

HTH,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card