cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router logs

tverhoeven
Level 1
Level 1

This may be a dumb question but I can't find an answer.

What does it mean when there is a (*)in front of a log entry or a (.) or nothing?

thanks

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anthony

It is not a dumb question. If the log has a (.) at the beginning it indicates that the router did not have authoritative time for the timestamp of the log message, and therefore the timestamp might not be accurate. If there is nothing at the beginning it indicates that the router believes that the timestamp is accurate.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks for the reply. What does * mean?

Anthony

I am less sure about the *. In my experience this in on log messages generated at boot time which is before the router has had a chance to verify what the accurate time is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi.

* means that the switch or router has never been syncronized with NTP, and you'll see that timestamping starts at March 1st, 1993 just after reboot and then you can add the uptime days to that and have the current timestamping.

. in front means that the switch or router at one time has been synchronized with NTP but currently is out of sync with NTP.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card