cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Startup and Running Out-Of-Sync Summary on LMS 3.1

raindrop18
Level 1
Level 1

I think commonly ask question but I couldn't find direct answer. what is the main reason the start up config newer than running config? if I run sync on device so which one will save? or dates are not the matter LMS save the running config, even though the dates are older than the start up. I don't want to mess all new configuration on the device, because currently I have unusual 400+ devices out of sync. if this is risky I want to go directly to the device. run "wr mem" command.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think that's because RME always reports the Startup config timestamp based on when it goes and fetches it from the device. OTOH, for the Running config, RME reflects the same "Last configuration change at XX:XX:XX by so-and-so" timestemp one sees in "show running".

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The reason RME reports startup and running configs out-of-sync is typically because someone made a config change without running "write mem". However, there is at least one known bug where configs fetched by TFTP may always report out-of-sync even if the configs appear to be in sync on the device. The workaround is to make use telnet or SSH to fetch the config. This bug is fixed in LMS 3.2.

The best way to confirm is to look at the archived configs in RME. What are the differences RME is reporting? If they appear to be strange lines at or below the banner commands, then you are seeing this bug. If they are inconsequential lines like "ntp clock-period", then you can add those commands to the list of exclude commands under RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Exclude Commands, and RME will no longer report a diff.

If, however, the differences are legitimate, you should sync the configs on the device. RME can do this for you, or you can manually run "write mem", then re-fetch the running and startup configs.

thanks for detail explanation, however I have one issue didn't explain. what about the dates? why is running is older than start up?

I think that's because RME always reports the Startup config timestamp based on when it goes and fetches it from the device. OTOH, for the Running config, RME reflects the same "Last configuration change at XX:XX:XX by so-and-so" timestemp one sees in "show running".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: