cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot connect Internet

hsauwcusa
Level 1
Level 1

This sounds very basic question, but I could not figure out whole day...

1811 / 12.4(6)T11

Our new ISP gave us IP adress block, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS. My home-level router works fine, but I do not know what is missing on 1811.

I followed quick start guide, and I installed SDM to the router and on my computer.

So far, DHCP is working fine, and I can connect to the router, but not to the Internet. Interestingly, Skype works under this circumstance.

One thing I am wondering is I had no option to enter gateway.

Also, after I installed SDM to the router, I could not see SDM Express any more.

May I have some advices? I am sure that I am missing some basic things... Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom

I am glad that you resolved the problem and got it working. It makes the forum more useful when people can read a problem and can read what solved the problem. You have contributed to this. Perhaps you can use the check mark to indicate that the problem is solved, which would help other users of the forum to know that they would see a solution to the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tom

It would help if we had a few details about how you configured the router. Is the address given by the ISP configured on one of the FastEthernet interfaces? What is configured on the other FastEthernet interface?

My first guess at what the problem is (without knowing much detail) is that you have not configured address translation on the 1811. Your home router probably does address translation automatically. But the 1811 will only do address translation if you configure it. Have you configured the 1811 to translate addresses for traffic going from the inside out to the Internet?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you very much for your reply.

You mean NAT? If so, probably, I did not do anything on NAT setting.

I am still checking various website to see if any sample configuration.

Although it has two WAN ports, one port is not in use.

Are there any resources about how to set up address translation on this model?

FE0 has the IP, the first one out of the block. FE1 (another WAN) is not configured. I made it disabled.

I ran the Basic NAT wizard, and the Outside interface is FE0, and the Inside Interface is Vlan1.

I did PING from the other network, but it did not reach to the IP (on FE0) on the router.

What else should I check?

Thank you very much.

[Solved]

DNS servers were not in the DHCP setting. It began to work now.

Thank you very much.

Tom

I am glad that you resolved the problem and got it working. It makes the forum more useful when people can read a problem and can read what solved the problem. You have contributed to this. Perhaps you can use the check mark to indicate that the problem is solved, which would help other users of the forum to know that they would see a solution to the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes, I have done so. Thank you very much for your help and advices. Although I could solve my first problem, I am sure that I will face another difficulty when I try to do something more advanced.

This community is very good.

Thank you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card