cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM problems with DNS resolve for LMS 3.1

tfleitscher
Level 1
Level 1

In LMS 3.1 the DNS resolve for DFM is not working showing just the ip address instead of dns name. Is this a bug in release 3.1 or am I missing something? The DNS records should be configured allright.

Thank you for any feedback on this issue.

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is the nature of DFM. DFM is very specific about how it resolves IP address to hostnames. Even if DNS records exist, DFM may still show IP addresses. There must be a one-to-one mapping between IP and hostname and hostname and IP. The easiest way to make sure this is working is to add entries for the devices to the server's local hosts file. Then, delete the devices from DFM, and re-add them.

They should then go in by hostname. If they do, and if you'd rather use DNS, then you will need to reconfigure DNS so that there is an exact one-to-one mapping between the IP and hostname and vice versa.

When you say a one to one mapping, are you talking about only have one A record on DNS for the device's IP address and then having one Reverse record?

That's right. I have only one A record for a device IP and one Reveres record.

If DFM has learned the devices by IP it will not change it even if you configure your DNS or hosts correctly. You have to remove all devices from DFM and let them be rediscovered.

And is there a way to resolve Cisco hostnames when you use tracert to discover the route the traffic goes through?

Trace route uses DNS, so your cisco host names would have to be A records on a dns server.

What if there is not DNS server?

I tried to use hosts files instead, but it didn't work. The thing is that I can access the hostnames via SNMP tools like Trace Route from SolarWinds.

Solarwinds uses more than just DNS for name resolution, that is why you are able to get name resolution. I am currenly comparing LMS and Solarwinds to see which one I want to go with. Been a hard decision because they both have good features and things the other may not have.

Could you please clarify what LMS is?

LMS is Ciscoworks Lan Management Solution. It is a bundle of applications to manage the Enterprise LAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: