cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prefer 802.11a over 802.11g within SSID - Is it possible?

Daniel Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

Currently have a corporate SSID advertised enabling clients to connect using either A or G. Ideally I'd like clients too connect using A if they're able, and if not connect on G.

I think I've read on these forums this is possible but requires the WLCs to be running specific (quite new) firmware.

Is anyone able to advise?

TIA

2 Replies 2

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, you can try to make 802.11a more attractive by tweaking the rrm values on the controllers.

For example:

my tpc values for a are:

Tx Power Level Assignment Algorithm

Power Threshold (-80 to -50 dBM) -67

and only have 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165, 26 channels enabled

for b:

Tx Power Level Assignment Algorithm

Power Threshold (-80 to -50 dBM) -70

You can also choke back on the basic rates for b/g depending upon your density.

If your environment allows you to control the clients, you can also tweak the network card settings on the clients to prefer a as well.

rduke
Level 1
Level 1

I have not tested this in a while so I don't know if Intel fixed it. Where I used to work, I had the same SSID on a and b/g radios. When using the Intel Proset client and the Intel 2915 adapters, the computer would connect to the "a" radio, you could then turn the laptop radio off and on (function-F2 on a Dell). Then it connects to the b/g radio. Every time you turn off the radio, it would toggle between the a and b/g radios. They may have fixed it by now, and I don't know if the same thing happens when using Windows wireless zero config. You might want to test it to see if you have this issue. I can't test that easily where I work now.

Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card