cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

shaping for non IP traffic

stephen.baugh
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies if this sounds like a dumb question, Is there any way of configuring shaping to restrict bandwidth for non IP traffic at layer2 on switch interface and queue.

Any help would be greatly apreciated

6 Replies 6

Brent Rockburn
Level 2
Level 2

There are queuing possibilities and tagging possibilities to ensure traffic gets marked properly and the queuing will make sure that particular traffic gets sent out first. I don't think you can traffic shape per say on a strictly L2 device, but I may be totally wrong.

What about just limiting all ingress traffic to a particular bandwidth ? and queuing. Is that possible

If you don't mind my asking what is this for?

1. If this is your internal network, than simple queuing and tagging will be more than enough.

2. If this is for external, say site to site then a router will be better suited for shaping and policing.

Can you give a quick description of your situation?

Hi,

Its on a internal network, where I want to limit bandwidth to 5mbit on a switch interface but the traffic is non TCP/IP. My QOS knowledge is not so good, So would I have to create a cos map for all traffic and configure a srr queue ?

configuring the srr queues yes that you should do ..

and then run #mls qos trust cos (I think that's it) on all the switch interfaces.

hope that helps.

On your internal network you should be running a minimum of 100mbps full right? How many people in our office? that should be more than enough. Remember that queuing and qos only get implemented if there is congestion.

Thanks for that,another quick question.

Does srr-queue bandwidth limit command relate to the physical interface capacity or the interface configuration ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card