cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connections 7 and duplicate extensions from UCM cluster

joshw
Level 1
Level 1

I have a single callmanager cluster where duplicate extensions exist but in different partitions because they belong to different sites. We also have a single connections 7 server that needs to handle both extensions from the different partitions. I'm assuming I would have to create partitions in connections as well as 2 different phone system integrations with different search scopes to make this scenario work, or are there other options that would prevent me from having to change my entire dial plan in callmanager so there are no duplicate extensions in connections? Please advise.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'd have to test the behavior of a touch tone name lookup handler but a voice driven name lookup handler will find all names in the search space regardless of partition ordering (you speak the name, not extension, hence the partition ordering is not in play). I believe (though I'd have to test) that if you spell by touch tone the behavior is the same - all matching names in the search space are returned regardless of partition ordering/overlap.

If you dialed 81310 from a call handler directly then you'd get the first match in the first partition (entering digits always follows partition order).

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should be able to create partitions and search spaces one for one to match your call manager configuration and handle the overlapping numbering plans no problem. the Connection partitions/SS design followed Call Manager's design specifically for that reason (it's not an ideal design for, say, voice name lookup features - it's targeted at extension based DB designs). But it should work for you here no problem.

So let's assume you have Joe Smith ext 81310 in Part_A and Bob Jones ext 81310 in Part_B in connections and callmanager respectively, how would connections ever be able to transfer callers from a global directory handler to user Bob Jones @ ext 81310 in Part_B if Part_B was listed 2nd in the search space after Part_A from connections perspective?

I'd have to test the behavior of a touch tone name lookup handler but a voice driven name lookup handler will find all names in the search space regardless of partition ordering (you speak the name, not extension, hence the partition ordering is not in play). I believe (though I'd have to test) that if you spell by touch tone the behavior is the same - all matching names in the search space are returned regardless of partition ordering/overlap.

If you dialed 81310 from a call handler directly then you'd get the first match in the first partition (entering digits always follows partition order).

How does this work for sub sign in also? If a subscriber calls in, and hits the sub sign in, enter in mailbox 81310, but there is two?

I'll have to read up more on PT/CSS for CUC. I thought it was only directory related for CUC and not Subscriber related. Meaning, the subscriber must have a unique extension like in Unity.

You can have same extensions in Unity connections so long as they belong to different Unity connection partitions. When a user hits the message button in this case, unity connections would look at the cucx search space assigned to the phonesystem in the cucx server. Then the first instance of the extension in the highest listed partition would be chosen. Therefore, i think you would need multiple phone system integrations with different search spaces if you are going to have same extensions in the same cucm cluster.

I looked around and I do not see a calling search space on the phonesystem settings anywhere. Clearly, we can set phonesystems to subscribers, then CSS and PTs.

Im assuming this is the method to have overlapping DN then.

Once the subscribers are on different Phone Systems **in** in different PTs.. then CUC will (assuming) allow overlapping DNs.

hmmm

My apologies for misleading regarding the search space. In connections 7, it's under call-routing, then attempt-sign-in for both direct and forwarded rules. That's where the search space is set. So it seems as though you would have to create a special sign-in rule for each different integration or perhaps you could manipulate the rule by setting a different vm profile in callmanager to change the mask inbound to connections. Bottom line for me is it seemed like too much work so we decided against overlapping dialplan in CUCM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: