AP Failover between controller on layer 3 network

Unanswered Question
Oct 1st, 2009

Hi, I need to configure AP fail over between controllers that reside on different ip subnets.

I understand how this operates when the controllers reside on the same network subnet and also how to configure the controllers to perform failover.

However, I have a requirement for failover between two controllers that reside on different subnets.

The following example scenario may explain my requirements further:-

I have a total of 4 controllers in my network - 3 in operation and 1 hot standby It is intended that the hot standby will be a backup for the other 3 operational controllers with the intention that only 1 of the operational controllers will fail at anyone time. Each of the 3 operational controllers have a full compliment of AP's registered serving multiple sites. These sites use local vlans (which use the same vlan numbers per network ) i.e. site X on controller 1 uses vlan 200, site Y on controller 2 uses vlan 200 and site Z on controller 3 uses vlan 200. There is also a future requirements that each site will broadcast multiple wlans i.e. every site will broadcast the 'education' ssid and also the 'corporate' ssid - this requirement will involve the use of AP groups being configured on the controller.

Therefore, given the above scenario, if one of the operational controllers was to fail and the registered AP's fail over to the hot standby, then how do the AP's know which AP group they should be a member of in order to continue client connectivity, once they have registered with the hot standby controller if this controller is configured with multiple dynamic interfaces for the three operational controllers?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode