cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router for 120+ hosts/users

polofalltrades
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a bit confused about this honestly. I have a client who has 120+ hosts/users on their network.

I thought that the 800 series would suffice since they don't really require other network services.

They just want a internet router that won't die down on their 120+ users because their Linksys WRT54G2 crashes during production every now and then.

Now I looked at some cisco 800 series router data sheet and I found out that they only recommend 20 users for cisco 871, which I believe is suited for small - to - medium businesses. LINK: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6200/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

Now, how does cisco classify their client's business environment? For example, how many hosts do cisco classify for example, a SOHO environment? How many users is a SOHO environment?

It kind of looks like this:

SOHO = # of users

Small Business = # of users

Medium Business = # of users

Large Business = # of users

Enterprise = # of users

Help would be much appreciated because I don't believe that 800 series are only recommended for 20 users. And as a sidenote, could anybody recommend me a pretty powerful router with failover options suitable for 120+ users/hosts? Thanks alot! Help would really be much appreciated

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 890 is the top-of-the-line router for the 800 series and the recommended number of users is pegged at 50.

Without further information from you, I'd say that you're looking at the 2800 series, particularly the 2821 router.

Cisco 2800 Series Integrated Services Routers Data Sheet

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/ps5882/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html

If you need Voice/Fax ...

Cisco High Density Analog and Digital Extension Module for Voice and Fax

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps3115/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016c1c6_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html

This NME is supported by the 2821 (and higher).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply leo, but don't you think 2800 is a bit overkill for a network which doesn't require too much services aside from the internet? They aren't even using VPN, Voice. They aren't looking for those features. What they need is a pretty simple router for their internet, which is by the way a 3mb subscription, which won't die on them like the linksys that I mentioned in my previous post. It's a pretty simple network setup as you see. Do you figure an 1800 working for this setup?

Depends on the design of the network. In my experience I always recommend use the next-model-up because sometimes the client don't want to tell me anything. If I believe every word clients tell me, I'd be in deep trouble.

3Mb, internet ... Hmmm ... 850, 860, 870 will be sufficient if they don't want anything fancy.

Have a look here ...

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

If you go for the 850 or the 870, I recommend you look into getting additional Flash and DRAM memory.

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In the CCDP track they cover the sizes of business for their models.

1-4999 is Small Business

5000-10000 is Medium Business

>10,000 is Large Business

An 800 might be on the light side for a 3MB circuit. You will have services on it (NAT, stateful inspection, ACLs) so you need to take that into account. My 2 cents is look at an ASA5505 or the 1800 series router.

nsn-amagruder
Level 5
Level 5

The 1841 has two slot's for T-1 cards or you can use the 2MFT Card. Add a second 1841 running GLBP for redundancy/load sharing. Assuming the T-1's aren't bonded.

polofalltrades
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess, I'll try to take another look at it. Leo, thanks for the router performance chart that you gave me there. I should've checked your post as the answer to my question. But hey, anyways, thanks man. And also, many thanks to those who contributed to the question.

Hi

So wich router did you chosse ? If that was a 800 series router does it support the load ? If yes wich model ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Florian

What bandwidth is your WAN link, Florian?

Hi Leo,

we've got a 10Mbits leased line, average of 50 users (up to 150 actually)  behind the router and nothing fancy (just internet access for users).

I hesitate between the 800 and 1900 series, but i might give a go for the 1905.

thanks for your help

880 or 890 can support the bandwidth.  One of the "gotchas" of the 860/880/890 routers is the amount of VLANs supported. 

but i might give a go for the 1905.

Good choice.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No worries. Glad to be of assistance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: