cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cable DSL hookup to 2524 or 2621 Ciso Router

glisboajr
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to this so please take it easy on me. What kind of interface module do I need in order to hookup a Cable dsl modem to a 2524 or 2621 router? I've tried looking but can't find anything. Also how to I get the ios to upgrade these routers? Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thank you.

glisboajr@gmail.com

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You would need an additional ethernet for the 2621, but nothing is possible on the 2524.

software updates are obtained buying a support contract.

Thank you for the response. But, are you sure? Isn't there a WIC ADSL module that goes into either the 2600 series or 2500 series router. If so, I just don't know the part number. Also to obtain a support contract, can anyone get(pay) for this? Thanks

Hi, for cable you will find that the only practical solution is to use the modem given by the cable company that has an ethernet interface.

Your organization should pay for the support contract.

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

I'm assuming I need a static IP for this from the cable internet provider. Correct?

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I guess I didnt understand the question correctly, please feel free to correct me anywhere you think I missed.

Are you trying to connect the ADSL (from Telco) directly to a Router? Or from the Cable Modem's Ethernet Interface?

If its Ethernet Interface (as most of the N American Telcos do) then all you need is a FE/E Interface on the Router and it should be fine. However if its about connecting the ADSL Cable terminating on the Router itself, then there is a lot information you will need from the provider before you place any order.

Regards

Sam Wilson

I'm trying to connect directly from the cable modem ethernet interface to the router. Is their a WIC or module that Cisco has that connects to the back of the router and then I connect my ethernet modem cable to this wic/module? Or is the connection from: cable ethernet port to FE/E interface on the router? Thanks

As mentioned above, you would need an additional ethernet interface so you can connect the cable modem one side, and you line on the other.

However you will find that 2621 are quite obsolete today and you would do better with a new router as small as an 851.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco