Supporting Teleworking IPCC 4.05 Express Cisco Agent Desktop Agents

Unanswered Question
Oct 2nd, 2009

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the most optimal method of supporting call center agents working from home?

Obviously, establishing L2L IPSec tunnels, installing IPCC Express CAD and a soft or hard phone at the agents house is an option but doesn't scale easily.

CAD works in a Citrix environment - but how do those teleworkers integrate a soft or hard phone into their house? It is my understanding that no VoIP communications are supported thru Citrix.

ASA Phone proxy is a great solution if you ONLY need phone access. It doesn't support IPCC CAD integration.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Steven Griffin Fri, 10/02/2009 - 11:15

It is true the CAD works in Citrix but recall that CAD is really just call control so if you had a home user with a VPN (client or hardware device) and a phone (soft/hard) then they could login to citrix and use CAD to control the phone as long as the citrix server and IPCC server can route to the remote phone.

You won't be able to use the monitoring and recording feature of CAD but if you use SPAN and plugged it into your IPCC server then you could capture it that way. Supervisors would likely not be able to monitor via Citrix but they could instruct the server to record.

To make this work reliably your home users would need a low latency (<60ms) and fairly reliable internet connection. I'd expect at least 3MB down and 512Kb up would be necessary to make this work. Here in the U.S. the cable modem based ISP's are the best bet.

asafayan Mon, 10/05/2009 - 11:29

Thanks for the reply. What I was trying to do is avoid the trouble of installing, maintaining and troubleshooting a bunch of remote agent VPN devices.

You stated CAD can work in Citrix. If that is the case, couldn't I have the agents utilize CAD over Citrix and then have the agent utilize a desktop phone reachable via the ASA Phone proxy?

This would eliminate the requirement of a VPN connection that routes traffic from the remote agent desktop phone back to our our enterprise network.

Steven Griffin Wed, 10/21/2009 - 10:49

You are welcome. As to your question about the ASA Phone Proxy it comes down again to call control. The phone proxy is just that, a proxy. Since the signaling and media termination are on single IP Addresses inside and outside recording and monitoring is definitely out of the question.

Recall that UCCX uses JTAPI for all its call control so as long as the CUCM is addressable from the Citrix server and the agent phone was addressable from both via SCCP the ASA phone proxy should work.

The other thing to consider is TAC support. As I write this the current contact center compatibility document does not specifically state you can host a agent across an ASA Phone Proxy. If you had an issue you may not be supported by TAC.

This Discussion