Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity connection SMTP notification message text

nordendale
Level 4
Level 4

Unity Connection 7.0.2ES7.11006-7

I have a customer that needs to change the message notification - message text on over 100 Unity Connection users.

We cannot see a place to do this in either the Bulk Administration Tool or the Bulk Edit Utility.

Please see the attached.

is there a bulk way to do this?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Doing it for all active notification devices is easy. I can help you with that but it's not documented because it's not TAC supported (nor will it be). So be sure you have a recent backup in place before doing anything.

if you have details on exactly what you want to do (i.e. all active SMTP notification devices for users asscoiated with COS=X) then I can help you construct a query to test against.

View solution in original post

Ok - here are a read query followed by an update query - you have to do updates in Informix on tables (new views like you can with MSSQL) and you can't do updates with inner joins so the format may look a little odd to T-SQL jockeys out there. Anyway - This is your last item on the list, you'll have to run separate queries for each one and make sure you insert the correct statictext value and COS display name - tread the name as case sensitive. The display names are forced to be unique so no need to fetch the objectId off the COS or anything like that.

Anyway, be sure to double check with the read query first to eyeball the list back and make sure it looks right. Note that these only update ACTIVE SMTP notification devices. You can remove the “AND tbl_NotificationDevice.Active='1'” clause if you want to blindly dump the text into all SMTP notification devices regardless of if they're currently active or not.

And, as already noted, this is not TAC supported - be sure to proceed with caution and a good backup

You can use CUDLI for this - the query builder interface has table and column name resolution in the UI which can be helpful for getting all the text just right:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/CUDLI/CUDLI.html

On some update queries you can see an error get thrown and then it'll say “x records affected” - don't worry, the records do get updated - the error is based on the fact that the update returns contain some info that CUDLI isn't looking for and we don't test updates with it (since they're not TAC supported) - I'm working on weeding all those out.

TIP: get your queries in and then save them as favorites for reference later if you need to change the text of these devices again later.

[Read query]

SELECT tbl_notificationdevicesmtp.statictext

FROM tbl_notificationdevicesmtp, tbl_notificationdevice, tbl_user, tbl_cos

WHERE tbl_notificationdevicesmtp.objectid=tbl_notificationdevice.objectid AND

tbl_notificationdevice.subscriberobjectid=tbl_user.objectid AND

tbl_cos.objectid=tbl_user.cosobjectid AND

tbl_cos.displayname='COS-BLDR Standard User'

AND tbl_notificationdevice.active='1'

[Update query]

UPDATE tbl_notificationdevicesmtp

SET tbl_notificationdevicesmtp.statictext='You may call 1-877-295-6803 or 303-447-7701 to retrieve a new '

WHERE tbl_notificationdevicesmtp.objectid in (

SELECT tbl_Notificationdevice.objectID

FROM tbl_notificationdevice, tbl_user, tbl_cos

WHERE tbl_notificationdevice.subscriberobjectid=tbl_user.objectid AND

AND tbl_notificationdevice.active='1')

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, that's not exposed in any of the bulk tools that I know of.

You could update it with a direct database query provided there was an easy way to determine which SMTP devices needed the updated text. If it's something like all active SMTP notification devices need new text then that should be easy enough. If it's more specific such as users in an extension range or users associated with a specific distribution list etc... then it gets considerably more tricky.

Jeff,

Thank you for the reply. It is ALL users. Is there any documentation on running a direct query?

Ok, now I am being told it would be based on COS. Does that make a direct query that much harder?

Doing it for all active notification devices is easy. I can help you with that but it's not documented because it's not TAC supported (nor will it be). So be sure you have a recent backup in place before doing anything.

if you have details on exactly what you want to do (i.e. all active SMTP notification devices for users asscoiated with COS=X) then I can help you construct a query to test against.

WOW! Thank you.

Yes we have a good backup and I will do one just before the import.

This is the info - all COS names are in quotes and the messages below:

"COS-MPLS Help Desk User"

"COS-MPLS Standard User"

"COS-MPLS Voice Recognition User"

You may call 1-877-295-6803 or 612-766-1888 to retrieve a new

"COS-DNVR Standard User"

You may call 1-877-295-6803 or 303-607-3601 to retrieve a new

"COS-DSMS Standard User"

You may call 1-877-295-6803 or 515-447-4777 to retrieve a new

"COS-BLDR Standard User"

You may call 1-877-295-6803 or 303-447-7701 to retrieve a new

Ok - here are a read query followed by an update query - you have to do updates in Informix on tables (new views like you can with MSSQL) and you can't do updates with inner joins so the format may look a little odd to T-SQL jockeys out there. Anyway - This is your last item on the list, you'll have to run separate queries for each one and make sure you insert the correct statictext value and COS display name - tread the name as case sensitive. The display names are forced to be unique so no need to fetch the objectId off the COS or anything like that.

Anyway, be sure to double check with the read query first to eyeball the list back and make sure it looks right. Note that these only update ACTIVE SMTP notification devices. You can remove the “AND tbl_NotificationDevice.Active='1'” clause if you want to blindly dump the text into all SMTP notification devices regardless of if they're currently active or not.

And, as already noted, this is not TAC supported - be sure to proceed with caution and a good backup

You can use CUDLI for this - the query builder interface has table and column name resolution in the UI which can be helpful for getting all the text just right:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/CUDLI/CUDLI.html

On some update queries you can see an error get thrown and then it'll say “x records affected” - don't worry, the records do get updated - the error is based on the fact that the update returns contain some info that CUDLI isn't looking for and we don't test updates with it (since they're not TAC supported) - I'm working on weeding all those out.

TIP: get your queries in and then save them as favorites for reference later if you need to change the text of these devices again later.

[Read query]

SELECT tbl_notificationdevicesmtp.statictext

FROM tbl_notificationdevicesmtp, tbl_notificationdevice, tbl_user, tbl_cos

WHERE tbl_notificationdevicesmtp.objectid=tbl_notificationdevice.objectid AND

tbl_notificationdevice.subscriberobjectid=tbl_user.objectid AND

AND tbl_notificationdevice.active='1'

[Update query]

UPDATE tbl_notificationdevicesmtp

SET tbl_notificationdevicesmtp.statictext='You may call 1-877-295-6803 or 303-447-7701 to retrieve a new '

WHERE tbl_notificationdevicesmtp.objectid in (

SELECT tbl_Notificationdevice.objectID

FROM tbl_notificationdevice, tbl_user, tbl_cos

WHERE tbl_notificationdevice.subscriberobjectid=tbl_user.objectid AND

AND tbl_notificationdevice.active='1')

Thank you for your help!

Sorry to dig up an old thread.  I made the change as stated above but it didn't seem to take effect.  If I go to the user and view, it shows the modification I made. (Footer Text)   If I do a save, it works for that person but not everyone.  Is there something that needs reset or some other way to trigger the change for everyone?

Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind, I found the bulk edit that allowed me to change it.  It's working great now!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: