cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Analog phones as emergency back up

vhkarlapalem
Level 1
Level 1

What are the recommended analog phones for UC520 platform? Will the analog phones continue to work when the UC power goes off?

Hanu

9 Replies 9

In theory, almost any phone should work when connected to the FXS ports. In case of power failure,  FXS port 3 is mechanically wired to the first FXO port, for continuous PSTN access. This is clearly labeled. See picture below:

Screen shot 2009-10-03 at 12.21.03 PM.png

What are the recommended analog phones for UC 520? The customer wants 4 analog phones. Can the PRI config be used for analog phones? Or do we need separate analog lines for the PSTN FXO ports to connect the analog phones to the same LAN with Cat5 cable?

I don't fully understand your question, so let me state a few things:

1) You cannot connect analog phones to the T1 port.

2) You cannot connect analog phones to the FXO ports, only FXS.

3) UC500 has 4 built in FXS ports, so you could connect up to 4 phones and/or faxes to these ports.

Marcos

I know about connecting the analog phones/Fax/analog devices to the 4 FXS ports. We will connect any addtional analog phones/devices directly to the cabling in the customer premises. The customer needs analog phones, which will be provided by us. There are several analog phones in the market. What are analog phone models/makes that you recommend? Are there any Cisco analog phones?

Thank you,

Hanu

I have been collecting analog phones for years now, and I can tell you that every one I connected has worked thus far, as long as it has an RJ11 jack to insert into the FXS port.   Even wireless analog phones.   :-)  We dont recommend or make analog phones.

But remember the point Marcos made, and this is something I usually recommend as well.   There is one FXS that has a Z relay connection to one FXO when the power fails on the customer site.   As you know FXO dialtone lines provide CO Battery, so if thats what you meant by Emergency, use that port for the "Emergtency" phone (to dial 911 or whatever during power fail).

Steve

For connectivity of the FXS ports, I'm curious as to whether the incoming PRI at the WIC card can be provisioned to the FXS ports, or if separate analog lines coming from the T1 IAD need to be plugged into the FXO ports.

thanks

I am sorry, but I do not understand the question. Could you describe the topology that you have in mind?

Thanks,

Marcos

Hi Marcos,

Our client has a T1-PRI with 5 analog lines from their service provider.  They have four analog devices which we would like to connect to the UC500 at the FXS ports.  They would like to keep the 5 incoming analog lines separate from the UC platform.  Can the UC500 send four PRI B-channels to the FXS ports to provide connectivity for the four analog devices?

Now I understand, thanks for the clarification. Yes, the UC500 and CCA can be configured to map DID numbers coming into the PRI directly to phones connected to the FXS interface.

Thanks a lot,

Marcos