Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C2960 Lan Lite Series Switches

rdeangel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I came across the cisco 2960 Lan Lite series switches and I'm having some troubles figuring out why the console port doesn't work. These are web managed switches as well as CLI of course but the console port seems to be disabled on this.

I get telnet access to them after setting them up however the console does not seem to work with a normal DB9 to RJ45 console cable.

Any ideas, am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

Rocco

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Rocco,

try with another cable or test this cable on another device.

according to this guide you should be able to get console access using the cable provided with the switch.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/hardware/quick/guide/9368.pdf

if the cable you have is good you may need a DB9 to DB9 null modem (in old times some switch consoles were different and required null modem)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your reply.

I've read something about using the cable provided with the switch on that same guide I just didn't think the cable provided would be any different.

I'll try that and will let you know how it goes. You might be right though.

Thanks

Regards

Rocco

For some reason Giuseppe the cable that came with the switch seems to work.

It looks exactly the same but might be wired differently, not sure to be honest. Really strange.

Thanks

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rocco,

No offense, but do you REALLY work for Cisco?

None taken. I am a contractor (Vendor).

I know it's a stupid question, however believe it or not, the cable that came with the switch works, the one I carry with me didn't.

If you are wondering, did you test the cable before and after. Well yes I did, that's how I knew it must have been something to do with the cable or better the console port on the switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco