Level 1

I've been experimenting with the following SNMP view for Ciscoworks:

snmp-server view CW-Cutdown mib-2 included

snmp-server view CW-Cutdown at excluded

snmp-server view CW-Cutdown ip.21 excluded

snmp-server view CW-Cutdown ip.22 excluded

snmp-server view CW-Cutdown ciscoCdpMIB included

snmp-server community public view CW-Cutdown RO 1

I have been able to successfully perform device discovery with this view and I thought the data collection was successful until i started getting this message when trying to perform UT collection:

Failed to start acquisition: Construction of XML data required for UT is in progress.Please try after some time.

It appears an xmlwrite.lock file is generated when this happens. I'm guessing the view is the cause of this somehow. Is it too restrictive?

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, a device view would not cause this. This view will, however, interfere with User Tracking. You will not be able to poll the ARP entries needed to populate IP addresses in UT.

The xmlwrite.lock is created to let UT know that the files needed for it to do its acquisition are being created. The lock should go away when Data Collection completes, and the files are written to disk. If for some reason this lock is not being deleted, then something bad is happening at the end of Data Collection.

It may have been a one-time thing. Try deleting the lock, then running a new Data Collection. See if the lock remains when the Data Collection completes. If it does, there should be an error in the ani.log.

No go. I have deleted the lock and tried to re-discover, but data collection will not run.

I've posted the ani.log file for review.

I think you've found a bug. I see a place in the code that could trigger this, but I need more debugging. IF you open a TAC Service request, they can walk you through the debugging. Once I confirm, I can provide you a patch to try.

Thanks. I've got the TAC case open and have sent them the log file with the necessary debugging enabled.