cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will MWI's work if Unity message store is off line?

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I have a customer who has CallManager 3.3 with Unity 4.0(3) for Exchange. The Unity uses an Exchange 2003 server as the off-box message store.

I am upgrading the customer to CUCM 7.1 and moving them to Unity Connection 7.1 but it will be a few weeks before this is completed.

The customer urgently wants to upgrade Exchange to 2007 which is not supported by their version of Unity.

I understand that if Unity cannot reach its Exchange partner server messages will be stored on the Unity server.

I am wondering whether it would be possible to use the existing Unity 4.0(3) server with no connection to Exchange for a few weeks until we are ready to upgrade the IPT system.

If I do this will Unity store messages and set phone MWI's correctly?

2 Replies 2

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Just found a document that answers the question.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00800949fa.shtml

Unfortunately the answer is no - MWI's will not be updated when the message store is off-line.

James,

In addition to what you've already discovered, if the partner exchange server isn't available, not only will voice mail not be delivered, but you'll also have problems with users not being able to login to their mailboxes to hear any existing old messages due to the message server being offline.

The symptoms/user experience may be all over the place (for the worse) if you end up upgrading to exchange 2007 while running on Unity 4.x.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: