cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP proxy or NAT on ASA?

chuck007
Level 1
Level 1

We need to bring in our SIP provider through a publicly addressed connetion and need to NAT it on the firewall. But the NAT only changes the source or destination address of the IP packet. How can we also NAT the SIP body messages for INVITE commands etc? Does the ASA support this? Thanks alot.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chuck

The ASA does indeed have support for SIP, this document should get you going -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a008081042c.shtml#sip

Jon

I did read through that, however it's mainly dealing with inspection as a firewall rather than the SIP translation of the IP address within the body of the packet. We have the basic NAT turned on, but it's not working because SIP embeds the IP inside. If you came across an example how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it. Or maybe this type of packet translation is just not supported on the ASAs. Thanks.

I did read through that, however it's mainly dealing with inspection as a firewall rather than the SIP translation of the IP address within the body of the packet. We have the basic NAT turned on, but it's not working because SIP embeds the IP inside. If you came across an example how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it. Or maybe this type of packet translation is just not supported on the ASAs. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card