cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to track WAN interface and enable GRE tunnel when WAN down?

gwhuang5398
Level 2
Level 2

I have one 3845 router each in site A and B. They have primary connection through WAN cloud and also GRE tunnel over IPSec in between as backup. WAN side has EIGRP and the tunnel has OSPF. Within each site, internal routing is OSPF too.

For some reason, I need to diable the tunnel when both site's WAN is up, and enable the tunnel when either site's WAN is down. How to configure object tracking to do it? I have not found a good reference.

Thanks a lot

3 Replies 3

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can configure backup interface on the serial interface. This will work if the WAN/Serial and the GRE/Tunnel is on the same router.

interface serialx/x/x

backup interface tunnel y

interface tunnel y

HTH,

jerry

Thanks a lot. I'll try it. I once saw the "backup interface" command years ago. So I tried to find it in Cisco 12.4 command reference before I posted the question. But I didn't find it.

Would you please let me know where I can find the command? So I may be able to find a few different examples.

Thanks again

Gary

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card