cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.1(3) TFTP Auth Fail

keithknowles
Level 1
Level 1

Since upgrading to CUCM 7.1.3.10000-11 any new phone plugged into the system gets an "auth fail" from the TFTP server when attempting to upgrade the firmware to the version that comes with 7.1(3). Phones that were registered prior to the upgrade work just fine. I am seeing the same behanviour on our non-production environment which is also at 7.1.3-10000-11.

Phone Firmware for 7.1(3) on 7961G set is SCCP41.8-5-2SR1S

Has anyone sle seen this behaviour before...is anyone else running 7.1(3) yet?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Everybody

My Issue was taht the Phone Firmware first must be 8.5.2 and after taht the phone can go to 8.5.3. This is written in the Relase Notes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/8_5_3/english/release/notes/7900_853.html

Regards

View solution in original post

41 Replies 41

mwuest
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have the same Problem with this Version 7.1.3.10000-11.

Do you have a workaround?

I've seen this before where a CTL file was being used? Are you using any type of CTL File?

No we aren't using any CTL files, thats the strange part.

No I don't use any type of CTL files. I don't use secutrity.

Regards

hi

did u get answer to this?

my problem is that I can use the IP Communicator to make calls but the same settings with the same DN on the ip phone does not work and i get the auth-fail message as well. i used the ctl but revreted the mode to the non-secure mode. still the  same.

Hi all,

This thread has split into two different paths.  The original purpose of the thread was to discuss why a two-step firmware upgrade was required and this has been answered.  For the other issue, where it looks like a call is failing, it is probably best to start a new discussion and get a TAC case opened.

Thanks,

Rudy

Hi kelvin,

Any updates on this? i am facing the same problems. I upgraded the firmware to 8.5.2SR1 but still the calls fail. I did use the CTL Client and updated the ctl file. strangely i can use the IP Communicator but not the IP Phones.

Any help will be appreciated

tecgsmitte
Level 1
Level 1

I've got the same issue and we are also not using CTL yet.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Keith/Guys,

It sounds very much like this bug. I would try a TAC case and load a newer or older firmware for the devices and then change the info in the Device Defaults;

CSCsu73815 Bug Details

7945/7965 cannot recover from file Auth Failure during upgrade/downgrade

Symptom:

If all image files do not pass file authentication during phone load upgrades form 8.4(1)IV6.29 to a new version, phone can not come up using the previously installed image.

Conditions:

Test environment:

phone load : 8-4-1IV6-29S

Call Manager: 7.1.0.39001-1, mixed mode

Reproduce steps:

1. Setup 7945 or 7965 phone with 8-4-1IV6-29S active load. Register it to the CCM.

2. Sign a different phone load on the phone configuration page, for example 8-4-1IV6-26S.

3. Modify one of the new image files on TFTP server, for example, modify 1-2 bytes in apps45.8-4-1IV6-26.sbn.

4. Reset the phone.

5. Phone resets and requests the new image. When downloading the modified image file finished, 'Auth Fail' is shown on the screen.

Workaround:

None

Further Problem Description:

None

Status

Fixed

Severity

3 - moderate

Last Modified

In Last Year

Product

Cisco Unified IP Phones 7900 Series

Technology

1st Found-In

8.5(1)

9.0(2)

Fixed-In

8.5(2)FT1.4

Hope this helps!

Rob

I suspect it to be a firmware issue as well, but why would it only affect new phones added to the system and not the ones that were registered prior to the upgrade? I have verified that phones that were registered prior to the upgrade were able to obtain the firmware from the server without issue.

Hey Keith,

I hear you :) It's quite possible that the new phones have the factory firmware (referenced in the bug)

phone load : 8-4-1IV6-29S

(or something very similar) where your existing phones had 8-4-3x;

Just a guess here.

Cheers!

Rob

OK, that kinda makes sense...as much as bugs generally do. :) I will give it a shot and post the result. As always, thanks for your help Rob.

Hi Everybody

My Issue was taht the Phone Firmware first must be 8.5.2 and after taht the phone can go to 8.5.3. This is written in the Relase Notes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/firmware/8_5_3/english/release/notes/7900_853.html

Regards

I hate to ask, but what is the best way of accomplishing the downgrade and then the upgrade?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: