cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading to Unity Cxn 7.0 from Unity 4.0(2)

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

What is the best path to follow to upgrade from Unity 4.0(2) to Unity Cxn 7.0 other than upgrading to 4.0(5) and make use of Cobras.

Please rate useful posts.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is the only way if you want to "upgrade" Cobras is a tool that allows you to export certain data from Unity 4.x, 5.x and 7.x and import to Unity Connection. There a few things you will need to rebuild, but the Cobras help file and videos will explain this more in detail.

My advice, since you are 4.02, is to move right up to 4.1. Im not a huge fan of 4.05.

I have outlined my procedure a couple times here in the forums, but here is the short.

DIRT Backup

Pull a drive

inplace upgrade to 4.1.x

Retest everything in Unity. If it all works for a couple days, 4.1.x is good to go. If you are not comfortable with it, or had issues during the upgrade, shut down, flip the drives and use your spare to go back to 4.02.

I believe in running 4.1.2 for a couple days before moving on so you are not dragging over any other issues to connection.

Now, with 4.1.2 running, use Cobras at your leisure. Create a test account, export it with cobras, import to connection, etc.

I do not recommend bringing over the voicemails if you can. It's messy and takes forever and a day. Plan accordingly and take precautions with the old messages from Unity 4.x when you do this. It will mark them all as "new" in connection after import.

Id leave the old system for a couple months to employees have access to it, then shut it down. Give them enough time to move off wav files they need or for you to do it for backup if required.

enjoy!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is the only way if you want to "upgrade" Cobras is a tool that allows you to export certain data from Unity 4.x, 5.x and 7.x and import to Unity Connection. There a few things you will need to rebuild, but the Cobras help file and videos will explain this more in detail.

My advice, since you are 4.02, is to move right up to 4.1. Im not a huge fan of 4.05.

I have outlined my procedure a couple times here in the forums, but here is the short.

DIRT Backup

Pull a drive

inplace upgrade to 4.1.x

Retest everything in Unity. If it all works for a couple days, 4.1.x is good to go. If you are not comfortable with it, or had issues during the upgrade, shut down, flip the drives and use your spare to go back to 4.02.

I believe in running 4.1.2 for a couple days before moving on so you are not dragging over any other issues to connection.

Now, with 4.1.2 running, use Cobras at your leisure. Create a test account, export it with cobras, import to connection, etc.

I do not recommend bringing over the voicemails if you can. It's messy and takes forever and a day. Plan accordingly and take precautions with the old messages from Unity 4.x when you do this. It will mark them all as "new" in connection after import.

Id leave the old system for a couple months to employees have access to it, then shut it down. Give them enough time to move off wav files they need or for you to do it for backup if required.

enjoy!

Just a couple notes to add.

Leaving messages alone is always a good idea - in addition to it taking a long time (can't be avoided) you lose single instance messaging (i.e. each user gets their own copy of group messages) and it can't bring secure messages over (the encryption used by Unity and CxN is not compatible).

However the "Read" status of messages imported into Connection should be preserved now - that used to be an issue (and still is importing into Unity).

Thanks guys for your valuable inputs.

Hi Jeff,

Is it possible to change the alternate contact fields prior to the migration? Please let me know.

Thanks,

George

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: