cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless physical perimeter policy software???

glakovski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I need a software that can do the following:

"In this way, access to your organization's WLAN is only granted to devices inside the physical perimeter of your organization's space. And, access is automatically denied to anyone (and all devices) outside a defined perimeter "

I have very little experience with the Cisco Location Appliance (MSE now)so maybe someone has set this functionality with it(I don't know if it is possible).

I found this one http://www.newburynetworks.com/products-cisco.htm

but I am looking for an alternative.

regards,

Georgi

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not unless Cisco buys Newbury Networks. :)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In my humble opinion, I see no room for this in an education-oriented network. The school account wants student and staff to experience the full potential of wireless network. This means deploying clients that will do wireless: laptops, printers, PDAs, barcode scanners, RFIDs, etc.

If I don't want non-staffs to use I'd look at AAA configurations.

What if you are in a multi-storey building and you occupy part of a floor or even just a floor?

I guess, it's horses for courses.

Leo,

I concur this is not a practical approach at this point in the technology, but pray tell, what do you mean by "horses for courses"?

Thanks for the explanation,

Whoops. Sorry Bruce. Horses-for-courses means that what is suitable for one person or situation might be unsuitable for another.

What I was trying to say is that it may not be suitable for me, but it could be suitable for someone.

Thanks Leo,

Nice! Can never have enough sports metaphors ;)

Regards,

--Bruce

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

There is no such option with MSE or other cisco products at this point.

If your network is secure enough, then the inside / outside does not matter anymore.

Lastly, this is possible by physically blocking by infrastructure the radio signals but will be expensive.

This is radio communication, don't forget, its the same rules for any electromagnetic wave.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: