Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many millions of packet on 1841 router

kindly describe me how packet handling capacity is determine in cisco router . for eg : how many million of packet does 1841 router will handles , if it exceeding the limit , whether possiblities are the to increase RAM capacity to handle this exceed limit , else we need to go to higher end routers .

Packet handling capacity is determined based on RAM capability r based on hardware capability. which is an important role for packet handling capacity

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Santhoshkumar,

packet forwarding in a device like C1841 is related to CPU speed not to RAM size.

C1841 has capabilities in the order of tens of thousands of packets per second with CEF enabled

multilayer switches can perform packet forwarding in HW but they have less features compared to sw routers.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

so for high end router 2600,3600,you mean that it will have high processing CPU speed compare to 1841. Simlarly for higher end router it holds more RAM capcity than lower end device , can u describe me regarding RAM & CPU process

when it goes higher n higher devices thank you

As already described by Giuseppe, amount of RAM within router has little impact on router's packeting forwarding performance. The router's forwarding performance is tied to it's CPU performance. Faster CPU, more capacity. What RAM does provide for is size of the IOS image and the tables it uses. I.e. more RAM will often support a IOS with additional features and/or large routing tables.

Attached is a reference sheet which list performance of many Cisco routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card