cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

g711 alaw to ulaw translation?

reidg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I have mgcp gateways that are connected via to our pbx's. The gateway configuration on the cucm has the codec on the pri interface as alaw. But i've noticed when I do the 'show voice call sum' on the gateway, it shows ulaw in use. I assume that this is showing the ip side of the call? But if that is the case is there transcoding happening on the router between alaw and ulaw automatically?

thanks

Grant

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it happens automatically. This is not considered transcoding, but simple compunding conversion.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it happens automatically. This is not considered transcoding, but simple compunding conversion.

thanks for that, havn't heard this phrase before though.

Could I ask a follow on: if the cucm is also interacting with third party piece of kit over a sip trunk, and the bit of kit only uses alaw. I've noticed that the cucm stays involved in the call, rather than passing off to the endpoints, i.e. 3rd party kit and gateway, unlike when its to a phone, when it does drop out. And the call leg from the cucm to the gateway uses ulaw, whilst the sip trunk uses alaw, do you think this is why i'm seeing mtp resources being used on the cucm, or is it just that the gateway is non rfc2833 compliant.

I think if you was to use H.323 or SIP you would be able to free up CUCM when the device is involved.

So far I've seen that g711u is the de facto standard for voip and everything works with it. Just try.

Hi Grant - I think a CUCM MTP may be involved in the ulaw to alaw conversion -from the latest SRND:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/media.html

An MTP can be used to transcode G.711 a-law audio packets to G.711 mu-law packets and vice versa, or it can be used to bridge two connections that utilize different packetization periods (different sample sizes).

thks

Hi Brian, yes thats how I read it as well. thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: