Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Configuration for cat os

nitsg.gupta
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

plz help me to find the HSRP configuration example document for the CAT OS.

OR is there any configuration guide for CAT os?

thanks,

Nitin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Nitin,

you can access the two MSFC from active supervisor using:

session 15

or

session 16

this opens an internal telnet from supervisor to MSFC using loopback addresses like 127.0.0.x

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Nitin,

there are config guides for CatOS but CatOS works at OSI layer2 and HSRP is an OSI layer3 feature.

if you have a C6500 in hybrid mode you can configure HSRP on the MSFC using IOS comands

Hope to help

Giuseppe

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Not sure what you are asking . There is no specific catos setup for hsrp. Any hsrp would be done on a msfc or RSM card which is a normal IOS box , just do a search on configuring hsrp on the cisco main page.

thanks,

this is the same what i wanted to ask.

so u mean to say cisco IOS hsrp configuration will work and it will not require SET commands on 6009 chassis,

one more thing - is that any way to configure hsrp on the 6009 chassis which is having 2 sups. so that if 1 sup fails 2nd sup can take over the active sup's role and hsrp role too.

in the event of 1st sup failure i dont want standby switch in place of active one.

thanks,

Hello Nitin,

the answer depends on the way MSFC redundancy is managed:

current and recommended mode is single routing mode where only one MSFC can talk with external world.

if this is your case you don't need to bother about the fact to have two Sups and two MSFCs and you configure it as it was a single device.

if using DRM = dual routing mode both MSFCs can talk with external world so each of them needs its own ip address on interfaces (SVI vlans) this is given with the alternate keyword

int vlan 10

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0 alternate 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0

in this case you need also to care of HSRP that can be spoken by both MSFCs

I think you should be able to check with sh redundancy

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for help,

we have 2 MSFC cards in 6009 switch (CatOS) and one more little question - as per you we can configure hsrp by using cisco IOS so when we login in to the switch we get the CatOS enable mode and how to use cisco ios commands under catOS console?

plz help

Hello Nitin,

you can access the two MSFC from active supervisor using:

session 15

or

session 16

this opens an internal telnet from supervisor to MSFC using loopback addresses like 127.0.0.x

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thank you very much for your help...

one quick question- can we configure SSO aware HSRP in MSFC cards too like 4507 with dual sups.

Hello Nitin,

I would say is SSO supported in Hybrid Mode?

if the answer is yes you can probably get also SSO aware HSRP.

It is also important to check if you are in SRM = single routing mode or Dual Routing Mode.

Edit:

see comparison of Hybrid mode and NAtive mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper09186a00800c8441.html

it looks like SSO is supported also in CatOS.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card