Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC software version for "N"

j-shearer
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings -

I have a WLC4402 currently running software version 4.2.207.0. With 802.11n just getting officially ratified I was wondering what is the "Cisco-recommended" software version for 802.11n? Should I stay at 4.2.207.0 or move up to 5.x/6.x? I have 1252 access points that are using 3560-E switches for ePoE (20w for powering both the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz radios).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I agree with you, staying on 4.2 is good practice for now.

The move to 6.x will make you convert all your AP from LWAPP to CAPWAP and at somepoint you will have to do it, but for now, if you can wait, stay on 4.2.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Else,I guess we can mark this resolved then.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Joe, if you only want to get .n, I dont recommend you move to 5.x/6.x.

At somepoint you will have to make a move, and then you should go to 6.x, after another maintenance release is out.

Moving to 5.x is no longer making sense at this point.

Thx for the reply.

I wanted to stay at version 4.2 if I could. Reason being is that 4.2.x has been very stable and reliable for me while I cannot say I have had the same experience with 5.x. If 4.2.x will support 802.11n then I will continue to use it. Being that the ratification was just announced a couple of weeks ago I didn't know if Cisco had version of software that they recommended for 802.11n deployments.

Thx again for your input.

Joe

I agree with you, staying on 4.2 is good practice for now.

The move to 6.x will make you convert all your AP from LWAPP to CAPWAP and at somepoint you will have to do it, but for now, if you can wait, stay on 4.2.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Else,I guess we can mark this resolved then.

FYI - 1142 requires CAPWAP and thus you'll need 5.2 or 6.0. 1252 needs 4.2 or greater.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card