cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Administrator Password on 2811 Router

dscottsos
Level 1
Level 1

We have fired the company who supported our 2811 routers and I would like to know how to change the Administrator password so we can prevent their access while we are looking for a replacement company

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You can reduce your risk by creating another account before deleting the admin account.

username administrator secret MyPaSsWoRd

Then create another telnet session (leave the original one open) and authenticate with the username administrator. If successful you can delete admin and re-create or just use the administrator account.

View solution in original post

David,

Make sure the new one is working fine before you delete the old one.

the command to delete the old one is:

config t

no username admin

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Brent Rockburn
Level 2
Level 2

How are you gaining access? SSH? Telnet? is tacacs or radius being used?

Telnet using CLI commands and I login as user admin

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Assuming you're using local authentication;

no username administrator

To create a new one-

username administrator secrete mYPaSsWoRd

I currently access the 2811 using a telnet connection and CLI commands and login as Admin which has all rights and then the system uses the same password for login and enable functions.

no username admin

To create a new one-

username admin secrete mYPaSsWoRd

Thanks but I am not sure I understand, there is a current username admin that I use to login to the router. You are suggesting creating a new one. Is that to overwrite/replace the current user? Maybe I should wait until I find a new company and run the risk.

First you delete the username admin. Next your creating a new admin account so you can login with that account and the new password.

You can reduce your risk by creating another account before deleting the admin account.

username administrator secret MyPaSsWoRd

Then create another telnet session (leave the original one open) and authenticate with the username administrator. If successful you can delete admin and re-create or just use the administrator account.

Thanks, I have the new username and password, what is the command to delete the old Admin username.

David,

Make sure the new one is working fine before you delete the old one.

the command to delete the old one is:

config t

no username admin

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: