cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified messaging and outlook slow response time

amyguysignore
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer where we have Unity 7 with failover Unified with their AD 2003/exchange 2003 environment. The Unity and Exchange servers are at one building and some of the users are located about 10 miles up the road. We have WAAS in place between the two locations. The users located where the Unity and exchange servers are located at are experiencing no problems with retrieving messages in their email. The users located in the building 10 miles away report when they go to open their Unified messaging email it is slow to open that as well as slow to open the attachment(actual voice mail) they do not have the plug in installed yet, and are using just media player. It shows in waas that it is being accelerate, but they continue to report slowness. I have them checking AD/dns/exchange versions and outlook versions. Any other path i can take here?

4 Replies 4

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately this doesn't sound like a Unity issue at all. It sounds like a networking problem. If local users have no issue and remote users do have the issue, I would look there. Start with the basics. What kind of ping response time do these users get in comparison to the local ones without the issue. If you see delay, what does a subsequent traceroute tell you? Do basic network troubleshooting from the remote end and start there. Regardless of what WAAS states it is doing, see what you are reporting on that side.

Tray

can you explain to me the route it takes after unity has handed the message off to the message store and the user opens up their outlook client, double clicks on the email from unity, is that outlook client trying to talk to the Unity box?

Without the ViewMail for Outlook plugin installed, there is absolutely no communication between the client and the Unity server. This is just an email with a wav attachment and Outlook is communicating directly with the Exchange server to access the message.

What happens if you send a regular email with a wav attachment of similiar size? Do they expirience the same delay opening that type of message?

well i am told regular emails open fine, but I confirmed that WAAS was accelerating the exchange or they would have noticed issues...i had them ping between their desktop to the exchange and from their desktop to the unity server...lots of time delays:

Here is the ping to the mail server.

H:\>ping 10.54.8.8

Pinging 10.54.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.54.8.8: bytes=32 time=345ms TTL=124

Reply from 10.54.8.8: bytes=32 time=268ms TTL=124

Reply from 10.54.8.8: bytes=32 time=328ms TTL=124

Reply from 10.54.8.8: bytes=32 time=285ms TTL=124

Ping statistics for 10.54.8.8:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 268ms, Maximum = 345ms, Average = 306ms

unity server ping

H:\>ping WALUnity01

Pinging WALUnity01.qnao.net [10.54.15.16] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.54.15.16: bytes=32 time=192ms TTL=123

Reply from 10.54.15.16: bytes=32 time=154ms TTL=123

Reply from 10.54.15.16: bytes=32 time=257ms TTL=123

Reply from 10.54.15.16: bytes=32 time=308ms TTL=123

Ping statistics for 10.54.15.16:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 154ms, Maximum = 308ms, Average = 227ms

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: