cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA with Transparent Mode Stateful inspection

rvopel
Level 1
Level 1

I'm wondering if it is possible for the ASA to do stateful inspection in transparent mode?

As far as I know at the moment it only works as a packet filter?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you can perform application inspection in Transparent mode.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you can perform application inspection in Transparent mode.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the answer.

I want to use the transparent Firewall stateful:

( Answers to outgoing session are allowed incomming because the initiation was from inside)

Application Inspection as far as I know works on a higher OSI Level.

Even though the ASA doesn't route the traffic, it can still read and inspect traffic at all 7 layers.

We want to allow all incomming sessions at the outside interface when they are initiated from the inside.

(Stateful Firewall)

Is this possible in transparent mode?

Application inspection isn't needed.

It should. The stateful firewall and the inspection engine work hand in hand. Even if you don't use the inspection, the firewall should keep track of all connections.

Thank you! Sounds very good!

We experienced problems with the stateful function in transparent mode.

We got no reply if we have no incomming rule at the outside interface to allow the connnection, which was initiated at the inside interface.

Can you please provide a sample configuration which works stateful in transparent mode?

Thanks!!!

Now we have verified it. The ASA works stateful in Transparent Mode. We tested the stateful function the wrong way all the time.

Thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: