Helpful
Replies

wireless doubts

ciscokid7181
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Folks,

I have couple of questions, which I need your expert opinion

1. I have an RFP which mentions that client requires access points with external antenna's which requires 802.11g radio, capability to add .11a radio and can upgrade to N in future. Which ap is this ? as far as i know , its 1250 series. is it right?

2. Which ap's do you recommend for classroom environment? These classrooms are basically residental apartments. do you recommend these ap's to be inside classroom's or corridor? I feel 1130/1100 series is enough for these types of rooms as this may avoid interfering , unlike external antenna type like 1240/1250 series.

Any advise ?

Regards,

SIDdarth

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi SIDdarth,

1. Yes, the 1250 series is the only AP that meets the RFP requirements.

2.An 1100 would be a good fit, probably the "new" 1140 series which supports "N". Without doing a site survey it's hard to say where best to mount the AP's. We usually mount them above the common wall between two classrooms to allow good coverage in both :)

Cheers!

Rob

Hello Mr.Rob,

Thanks for the query.

I would like to know for point 2.

lets say for eg:20 students of each classroom accomodates with a teacher, is it safe to have an AP 1140 to be installed in the corridor, so that this AP would be receive simultaneously 42 clients for this access point.

-SID

Hey SID,

You are most welcome my friend :) 40 users per AP is a tad high. The recommended number (depending on application) is probably @ 20-25 max. I would prefer 1 AP per classroom to meet these requirements.

Cheers!

Rob

I'm in the midst of doing wireless stuff for the Education department (pre-school all the way up to high school and colleges).

First rule I was instructed is NEVER (ever!) underestimate the (accuracy) throwing arm of a 6 year old. For this reason we never allow the AP's to be exposed. It's always hidden or locked up.

We have been progressively installing and upgrading APs to the 1250s. We are waiting for the delivery of the 1140s so we can use the autonomous image.

Hello Leo,

What type of locks do you recommend to secure AP's ? I have seen normal chinese locks which is used to lock travel bags[gold color]. Is there any specific locks like kensignton type ?

Regards,

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card