Helpful
Replies

Syslog FAILCREATEVC Continuously Received by LMS Server

hjavier16
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

has anyone encountered syslogs being sent to the lms server with a message:

%ATM-3-FAILCREATEVC: ATM failed to create VC(VCD=0, VPI=255, VCI=255) on Interface ATM6/0/3, (Cause of the failure: VC is not an autovc.)

we have noticed that this type of message is being logged frequently by the server in /var/adm/messages

**we're using lms 3.1 on solaris 10

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Okay, then a config like this should work:

logging discriminator noatm mnemonics drops FAILCREATEVC

logging host x.x.x.x discriminator noatm

Where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your RME server.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

These messages have nothing to do with LMS, but you may want to have a look at https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_tech_note09186a00800d770d.shtml on how to troubleshoot them if they are coming from an interface on a PA-A3. The WAN forum may also be able to help here.

hi jclarke,

thanks for your quick reply. i understand that this is not an issue with LMS, but won't this affect the performance of the LMS server because of the repeated messages being sent to it?

Yes it could if you're getting more than 200 per second. If you'd rather not see these in your syslog reports, you can create a message filter to exclude them under RME > Tools > Syslog > Message Filters. They will still show up in the local syslog log file, but they will not be added to the RME database.

hi jclarke,

i had added the exceptions on the RME > Tools > Syslog > Message Filters. i'm not sure as to why the /var/adm/messages file still continues to log this message. is it because we have the logging command configured on the device? or is it because there are mistakes in the configuration of the message filter?

please see attached screenshots of the message filter.

As I said, the syslog log will still record the message since you have configured the device to send messages to the RME server. However, the messages will not be added to the RME database, so they will not appear in your syslog reports.

The only ways to keep these messages out of the server's syslog message file is to either stop sending syslog messages to the RME server, fix the problem with the ATM-VC creation issue, or, if the device supports it, use the Embedded Syslog Manager to filter only these messages from being sent by the device. Post a show ver from this device, and I can determine if ESM is a possibility.

hi jclarke,

attached here is a log of the show version...

I think ESM may be supported in this version. Does your router support the "logging filter" command?

logging filter command is not supported in the router

Then ESM will not be an option. What about "logging discriminator"?

logging discriminator command is supported...

Okay, then a config like this should work:

logging discriminator noatm mnemonics drops FAILCREATEVC

logging host x.x.x.x discriminator noatm

Where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your RME server.

thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: