cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 keeps "going down"

philm
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco ASA 5505 for my internet gateway.

I do not have VPN setup.

Several times a day, the ASA 5505 "goes down", and users cannot get on the internet. After a short while, the router begins working again, almost as though it did a "reset" or something. Is there some log or some way to see what is causing the router to stop like that? I found the "firewall" monitor in the ASDM, and it shows spikes in the "syn attack" graph, but I have checked the computers that show in the "under attack" list and those computers don't have a virus or malware (from what I can tell)

What I would like to do, is make sure all "VPN" related stuff is removed from the config if possible to ensure that I am not being attacked that way.

6 Replies 6

philm
Level 1
Level 1

Also, is it possible to display the MAC address in the "ASDM Syslog Messages" screen?

Do you see the source IP & protocol/port of the attack on ASDM? If not, I think you should set up a syslog server to see where the "sync attack" is coming from. Then block the source and protocol/port on your ACL.

nsn-amagruder
Level 5
Level 5

I had a bad power supply / brick a few weeks ago. TAC had to send a replacement. Do a show version and see the uptime. If it is rebooting, check the power source and get an RMA if you have smartnet. If not, try purchasing a new power brick.

Yesterday, it showed up time 19 hrs 40 mins.

Today, it shows 17hrs 53 mins uptime

I have not manually rebooted it. However, the internet has "gone down" on all traffic that passes through that router twice already this morning. So, it looks like I have two problems.

1. The router resets itself.

2. Traffic will not go through in or out at seemingly random times throughout the day. If the users just wait about 3 minutes, it comes back. When one user loses internet, it seems they all do.

Is it connected to a UPS and have you tried another power outlet?

If so, it is is a bad PS or bad power brick. Do you have smartnet maintenance? Open a case with TAC and get it RMA'd.

Yes, I have it connected to a battery backup. I also tried another power source.

It has quit a couple times today. When it did, I ran in and unplugged the inside network cable and plugged it back in real quick (because it was blinking really fast). As soon as I did that, internet works again.

When I did sh ver this morning, it had been up for 2 days and 19 hours. But now I see it has been hard reset because it says it is only up for 3 hours 59 min

Cisco arranged an RMA for me, still waiting on the new hardware to arrive.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card