cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco MDS 9513 Fiber channel switch

jalilfalsafi
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please tell me how to shutdown the Cisco MDS 9513 switch and restart it after

4 Replies 4

Gary Ross
Level 4
Level 4

If you want to just reboot it, at the CLI

prompt with an Network-Admin account, type in:

reload

This will reboot the entire switch (which of course is disruptive to traffic).

To failover to the other supervisor and have the current supervisor reboot, at the CLI prompt with an Network-Admin account, type in:

system switchover

Log into the, now, active supervisor, wait for the other supervisor to come online by typing the following command:

sh module

and look at modules 7 & 8 to make sure one says "active *" and the other says "ha-standby". Once you see that, you can reboot the now active supervisor by typing in:

system switchover

You've now rebooted both supervisors.

NOTE: Be sure to save your running configuration to the startup configuration by typing in:

copy run start

Hope this helps.

Gary

Thanks . But I want to shutdown and power off the MDS 9513 switch and move it to the new computer room we just built. If I use the Reload command it will reboot the switch but it would not power it off.

I can not beleive that Cisco does not provide shutdown/power off command. So How do I do turn off the switch ? please advise.

Regards

Jalil

I wasn't sure if you wanted to just reboot it or completely power if off. Sorry about that.

I've done this 2 different ways.

First Method

Just go to the power supplies and turn the power switch from "run" to "install". Basically, kill the power.

Second Method

I've done the "poweroff module #" for all modules other than the supervisors and then kill the power. In doing this, I lost all of my port descriptions. Not sure why this happened.

We moved our DR Data Center about 5 months ago and I had the IT moving company do the first method with our 2 9513's and 2 9222i switches. No issues coming back up.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Thanks Gary , for the tips. I will try the first method this weekend and will let you know.

Thanks again

Jalil Falsafi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: