Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI not lit when external caller leaves message

bigcappa1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Small issue with a small number of users (my subscriber being one of them) where MWI is not lit and the message is not in Unity if you login via phone. Though the wav file is sent to my inbox. This only happens when the VM is left from an external number, if an internal number, local to the CUCM cluster leaves a VM, this is fine. Just numbers coming in via PSTN. This was working before but just stopped in the last few. Weeks any ideas or where I can check. i will run through the MWI troubleshooting tomorrow but looking for any similar experiences

Thanks

Pauk

10 Replies 10

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Unity registers with Exchange for notifications when changes occur on your Inbox.

That said when Unity takes a message, it hands it off to the Exchange server and then Exchange sends a notification to Unity that a new message is in your Inbox. At this point Unity turns on your MWI.

Messages from Outside callers are from the Unity Messaging System. Is it possible that folks have set up a rule to move messages from the Unity Messaging System to some other folder?

Unity will not receive a notification from Exchange if messages are being moved to a subfolder of the Inbox.

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Messages from outside callers are left from the Unity MEssaging System account created by the Unity setup - I've seen some cases where anti virus packages come into play and some information on the messages sent from that account get stripped or changed - not necessarily the case here but that's the primary difference between internally left and externally left messages: the account it's left on behalf of.

Check the properties on messages that come from outside callers and make sure the messgae class is IPM.Note.Voice.Unity and that the attachment WAV file name and such looks the same as an internal caller.

Chris and Jeff

Thanks very much for the feedback both on the same track so that sounds promising. Will check it out over the next day or two and let you know.

Will also check with messaging as they have a tendency to do things with the exchange servers with little consultation

Thanks

Paul

Jeff,

Tried to check this using DOH Property tester, but the option to check the message clas is not there for some reason. Where else can I check the properties for the messages going to my inbox

Thanks

Paul

You can actually see this in Outlook. Right click anywhere on the From, Subject, Date colum and choose Filed Chooser, under all mail fields, choose message class.

In Doh Prop Test you would choose Subscribers, choose the subscriber in question, click the Get Mailbox button, say ok to the mailbox size information, locate the message in the list and highlight the AVP_Message_Class property.

HTH

hi,

After working out how to do this in outlook 2007, have also left the field there for future, both internal and external calls have the same message class (IPM.Note.Voice.Unity). Looks like I will have to do some tracing, any other idea of what to look for

thanks

paul

Ok looking in the Unity Diag Viewer. It is strange. I get to see the external call com in on the AvCsMgr process, as I do with the internal call. But with the external call, that's it I see nothing to indicate the MWI is being attempted.

So on the internal I see the call come in on the AvCsMgr process as the external but then i see further processes in the AvCsMgr the AvMsgStore Monitor process oftable Notification, then the AvNotifyQ:: push event of eNOTIFY_ACTION_MSG_NEW, then a load of noticiations about attempting and succeeding in turning the MWI on, but nothing like this for the external caller

Any Idea

Thanks

paul

Problem solved. I had a rule in my outlook client that sent all messages from the Unity messaging system to another folder in my outlook client. Internal calls came from the recipient, external calls came from Unity in the mailbox. Changed the rule to look at the Subject line rather than who it is from. problems solved. thanks for the feedback though learned a lot

Paul

Just thought I'd point out that Chris suggested _exactly_ this scenario in his very first post:

"Messages from Outside callers are from the Unity Messaging System. Is it possible that folks have set up a rule to move messages from the Unity Messaging System to some other folder?"

- and I noticed you gave him 3 points - I think you'd have to say he nailed it. Perhaps you missed this post...

Jeff,

you are right, Chris my apologies send me an update and will submit feedback torefelct your answer in the first place. So many things going on, I should have read it more thoroughly

Thanks once again

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: