Views
Helpful
Replies

CSA and Deny CMD.EXE

niall-wilkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new to CSA and have been trying to figure out how to block the Windows cmd.exe process outright? Is anyoneableto assist or point me in the right direction

thanks?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, you should never change the built-in ruleset unless needed, in this case, you need to create a Policy, a rule module, and add an application control rule with the info i gave you. You attach the policy to the group that your hosts are in, the rule module to the policy, and generate. Just be carefull, CSA is a very powerful tool, and rules can have massive impact in your setup if you are not careful. Try it out on one machine first, this can be done be creating a group and assigning the new policy you just created to that, and then add that group to the host.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

Are you sure you wan't to do that ? if so, just do a application control rule, with priority deny, all applications try to run "cmd.exe"

Jan

Hi,

Thanks for the response. So do I just modify one of the existing ones? If so which one do I select as I see about 4 of them from the Desktops - All Types -> Combined Policy Rules. I have included a screen shot

No, you should never change the built-in ruleset unless needed, in this case, you need to create a Policy, a rule module, and add an application control rule with the info i gave you. You attach the policy to the group that your hosts are in, the rule module to the policy, and generate. Just be carefull, CSA is a very powerful tool, and rules can have massive impact in your setup if you are not careful. Try it out on one machine first, this can be done be creating a group and assigning the new policy you just created to that, and then add that group to the host.

Jan,

You are spot-on. Never change a default rule whether it is CSA or MARS. If an application SA gives you the option of adding a new policy or cloning an old one (MARS) then you should take it.

A "5" from NYC.

Cheers!