Views
Helpful
Replies

CSA and Deny CMD.EXE

niall-wilkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new to CSA and have been trying to figure out how to block the Windows cmd.exe process outright? Is anyoneableto assist or point me in the right direction

thanks?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, you should never change the built-in ruleset unless needed, in this case, you need to create a Policy, a rule module, and add an application control rule with the info i gave you. You attach the policy to the group that your hosts are in, the rule module to the policy, and generate. Just be carefull, CSA is a very powerful tool, and rules can have massive impact in your setup if you are not careful. Try it out on one machine first, this can be done be creating a group and assigning the new policy you just created to that, and then add that group to the host.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

Are you sure you wan't to do that ? if so, just do a application control rule, with priority deny, all applications try to run "cmd.exe"

Jan

Hi,

Thanks for the response. So do I just modify one of the existing ones? If so which one do I select as I see about 4 of them from the Desktops - All Types -> Combined Policy Rules. I have included a screen shot

No, you should never change the built-in ruleset unless needed, in this case, you need to create a Policy, a rule module, and add an application control rule with the info i gave you. You attach the policy to the group that your hosts are in, the rule module to the policy, and generate. Just be carefull, CSA is a very powerful tool, and rules can have massive impact in your setup if you are not careful. Try it out on one machine first, this can be done be creating a group and assigning the new policy you just created to that, and then add that group to the host.

Jan,

You are spot-on. Never change a default rule whether it is CSA or MARS. If an application SA gives you the option of adding a new policy or cloning an old one (MARS) then you should take it.

A "5" from NYC.

Cheers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: