Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA headache

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All

So, I need to measure rtt levels between two devices and trap when it is too high. Sounds like a job for IP SLA right. I am trying to do this on a 7200 and a 6500. When the threshold goes above 30ms I want to send an SNMP trap with custom text, and another SLA for a threshold above 50ms with custom text. I have setup on SLA on the 7200 for a 30 to 40 ms rtt threshold which shows failures but does not send a trap. Here is my config :-

ip sla logging traps

ip sla 1

ip sla reaction-configuration 1 react rtt threshold-value 40 30 action-type trapOnly

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

snmp-server enable traps ipsla

I can see that the SLA is failing sometimes but does not send a trap as below :-

SLA1#sh ip sla statistics

Round Trip Time (RTT) for Index 1

Latest RTT: 72 milliseconds

Latest operation start time: *12:45:17.355 UTC Thu Oct 8 2009

Latest operation return code: Over threshold

Number of successes: 43

Number of failures: 75

Operation time to live: Forever

Coms to my SNMP trap collector are good as I can shut down an interface and get a trap.

Code version is 12.4(15) Advanced Enterprise.

Is my config broken or is there something more sinister at work here :-s.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

I found the answer. As expected, it was broken config.

My re-action config line missed out the reaction type. It should have read :-

ip sla reaction-configuration 1 react rtt threshold-value 60 30 threshold-type immediate action-type trapOnly

Interesting. I haven't really used IP SLA before but it looks like I can use it for proactive troubleshooting before it becomes an issue.

Hi

You may want to take a look into event manager applets as well.

hey adam,

lots of possibility's with sla. glad you found it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: