Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing & Reverse routing issue

qureshi_asrar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please find the attached. I am having 2 router-A & B, running in HSRP mode & both connecting to my Database server via Different MPLS ISP. Need to know , if my Router-A links goes down, how do my traffic will move via router-B & once the link is up,it should shift to normal.ie. on router A.

Also if i use a load balancer,will it be possible that what traffic travel via Rtr-A should take the same path. I mean reverse path via Rtr-A with load balancer.

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It will move over via your routing protocol. If I understand your LB question, yes it can go back via the same link it cam in on. Again this would be dependent on your routing protocol. You may need to make some adjustments so traffic flows the way you want.

Sorry to inform you,My Branches are 800, 400 will go via Rtr-A & other 400 By Rtr-B. if my Router-A goes Down, then traffice will move via Rtr-B. So the load on router-B will increase i.e. CPU,memory utilization & also routing table size would be increase , what could be other possible solutions.

Hi, gureshi_asrar

>>how do my traffic will move via router-B & once the link is up

If your igp is ospf, you can change the cost or the distance to make it load balance, and the traffic will move back to router-A once it comes back,

hope it helps

Yang

Anther solution, I gave the higher standy priority for Router-A, so once the

Router-A comes back, it will be the active one,

Router-B#sh run int e0

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 162 bytes

!

interface Ethernet0

ip address 1.1.123.1 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 1.1.123.254

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 name For_server

standby 1 track Ethernet0

end

Router-A#sh run int e0/0

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 203 bytes

!

interface Ethernet0/0

ip address 1.1.123.2 255.255.255.0

half-duplex

standby 1 ip 1.1.123.254

standby 1 priority 105

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 name For_server

standby 1 track Ethernet0/0

end

hope this helps

Yang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card