Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to find adjacent APs?

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Good morning!

Just have a general question, is there a command on a Cisco 1231 AP to display a list of adjacent APs and their SSIDs? Thanks!

Difan

5 Replies 5

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Yessir:

show dot11 adjacent-ap

That shows you exactly what you want. All of the "show dot11" commands are good, so take a look at them and see what else is in there.

Hey Jeff thank you for quick reply!

Actually the AP is configured as a repeater AP and I want to see which root/parent AP is closest to it so I can perfer the repeater to always associate with that one.

I did find this command but it's not showing me anything... Even the repeater is now associated with one root AP but it doesn't even show the root AP as a adjacent AP... Do you know why is that? Do I have to enable anything to use this command? Thanks!

tomathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Difan,

To specify the root AP for your repeater you can use the command "parent 1-4 MAC address"

You can specify up to 4 root APs for a repeater AP. A repeater works better if you specify the root AP for it.

Cheers,

Manish

tomathur
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry. I forgot to answer your basic issue.

You can use the command "sh dot11 network-map" on the repeater to see the APs in the near vicinity.

Then u can check which one is a root AP and get its MAC address.

This MAC address can be specified as a parent AP for the repeater then by using the "parent " command i mentioned earlier.

Cheers,

Manish

Hey Manish,

I figured out how to enable the network-map feature and the command "show dot11 network-map" does give me a list of APs that I can associate with. However it still doesn't tell me which AP is the closest one...

Btw, When I say "closest one" I mean that the one with the best SNR value... So I think my question becomes that whether there is command to display SSID and its broadcasting AP with SNR, just like what a laptop can see from its available wireless network? Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card