Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to find adjacent APs?

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Good morning!

Just have a general question, is there a command on a Cisco 1231 AP to display a list of adjacent APs and their SSIDs? Thanks!

Difan

5 Replies 5

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Yessir:

show dot11 adjacent-ap

That shows you exactly what you want. All of the "show dot11" commands are good, so take a look at them and see what else is in there.

Hey Jeff thank you for quick reply!

Actually the AP is configured as a repeater AP and I want to see which root/parent AP is closest to it so I can perfer the repeater to always associate with that one.

I did find this command but it's not showing me anything... Even the repeater is now associated with one root AP but it doesn't even show the root AP as a adjacent AP... Do you know why is that? Do I have to enable anything to use this command? Thanks!

tomathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Difan,

To specify the root AP for your repeater you can use the command "parent 1-4 MAC address"

You can specify up to 4 root APs for a repeater AP. A repeater works better if you specify the root AP for it.

Cheers,

Manish

tomathur
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry. I forgot to answer your basic issue.

You can use the command "sh dot11 network-map" on the repeater to see the APs in the near vicinity.

Then u can check which one is a root AP and get its MAC address.

This MAC address can be specified as a parent AP for the repeater then by using the "parent " command i mentioned earlier.

Cheers,

Manish

Hey Manish,

I figured out how to enable the network-map feature and the command "show dot11 network-map" does give me a list of APs that I can associate with. However it still doesn't tell me which AP is the closest one...

Btw, When I say "closest one" I mean that the one with the best SNR value... So I think my question becomes that whether there is command to display SSID and its broadcasting AP with SNR, just like what a laptop can see from its available wireless network? Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card