Oracle Private Network Requirements

Unanswered Question
Oct 8th, 2009

I have a group of people setting up a 3-node oracle cluster. We will have an active, standby, and upgrade cluster. This solution will be striped across six different Dell m1000 server chassis.

The question I have is, does anyone know the requirements for the Oracle Private Network? What kind of bandwidth does it need and what happens if it runs out of bandwidth.

I have two possible solutions. One would be to use an ethernet passthrough module on the back of the Dell chassis and run 1Gbps cables to my redundant core 6513's. e2 from each server would go to CoreA and e3 would go to CoreB. I would have to portchannel about 4-6 gig ports together and trunk the VLANs across the portchannel.

Otherwise, I was thinking of using two stacked 3750-24 10/100/1000 switches and bonding the NICs together to get 2Gbps total throughput on the private network. The only other links on this switch would be a an uplink to the core that trunks only the management VLAN...again the private network does not need to be routed.

Obviously, if I brought the passthrough connections to the core then I would not be able to use LACP to aggregate bandwidth at the NIC level. They would have to be active/passive.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts about this. I am researching as much Oracle 11g stuff as I can that addresses this. Nothing has come up yet except to say that you need minimum 1Gbps connection for private network.

Thanks!

James

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion