Connecting a phone to a UC520 from a remote location

Unanswered Question
Oct 8th, 2009
User Badges:

We have a new sales rep working out of his home office.  Is there a way to connect a cisco phone from that location without having to also establish a VPN tunnel.

i.e. just point the phone at the UC520 and set his firewall to forward specific ports to the phone?

If it can be done.

1) What security settings do we have to change on the UC520 to allow that specific phone to connect from an outside address?

2) What ports do we need to forward on his side?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Thu, 10/08/2009 - 11:26
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Today we do not have any phone with built in VPN client SW that eliminates the need for a router at the teleworker, or at a minimum you can run CIPC  with Cisco EZVPN Client to the UC500 IPSec VPN server.  Then you dont need a router.

Internal Marketing team can comment on roadmap thoughts.

alindzon Thu, 10/08/2009 - 11:31
User Badges:

I am not sure that answers the question, but it might.

To rephrase, I am wondering this: Since the UC520 is visible on the internet, can a phone see the UC520 using its public IP address and establish a connection that way.  If that will work, then there is no need for a VPN tunnel just to connect a phone.

Does that make any sense?

alindzon Thu, 10/08/2009 - 11:55
User Badges:

Thanks.

When you say insecure are you referring to the calls to this extension (open), or are you referring to the general integrity of the UC520?

What exactly is the downside?

Is there a way to restrict the external access by MAC?

Marcos Hernandez Thu, 10/08/2009 - 12:31
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

I am referring to the general integrity of the UC500. You should really look at doing this via VPN.

Thanks,

Marcos

Actions

This Discussion