cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N Trend Micro ProtectLink enabled

merlinguy
Level 1
Level 1

I just activated a 30 day trial of Trend Micro ProtectLink on my WRVS4400N router.  After activation, I attempted to enable Web Filtering & was shocked when I received a popup window advising it is necessary to reset the router to factory defaults!  Does anyone know if the current config can be restored from back after the Web Filtering feature is enabled or will it be necessary to enter ALL of th config changes manually?  Another concern is will I have to reset to factory defaults if I decide not to purchase ProcectLink?

2 Replies 2

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Good afternoon,

I have never seen the pop up that you are seeing, but yes backup your config, reset to factory default, then reload your config.

Be sure to take some screen shots if you need a backup to the backup

This should allow you to get back up and running right away.

I think once you try the product then you will want to keep it, I have it and it works great..

Have a good day

Ok, there is a real problem with activation of ProtectLink.  Part of the issue could be that I am running beta firmware V2.0.0.7 but this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed before the next firmware release (V2.0.0.8 "if" it is ever released)!  As stated in my initial post, after activating ProtectLink & when attempting to enable "Web Protection" a popup window is displayed stating that you "must reset router to factory defaults" with a Yes or No option to click.  Clicking either option returns you to the "ProtectLink Purchase" screen.

So, I backed up the configuration then reset the router to factory defaults.  Then I first restored my config from the backup & not suprisingly - When attempting to enable Web Protctions I was prompted with the SAME popup box I received before I went to the trouble to default the router.

Next, I reset factory defaults again & went straight into the ProtectLink screen & the activation was not recognized because (I assume) the router could not access the internet to validate the license.  Then I entered the WAN information manually & only then was I able to enable Web Protection. I then restored my backup config & the whole mess flared up again!

Thank goodness I printed out all config screens (which took forever in itself) because after defaulting the router (for the 3rd time) I had to manually enter the config data.  As a suggestion & from considerable experience working with Linksys products - the option to "Print" all configuration data would be an invaluable option to add to the administration interface!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: