Views
Helpful
Replies

5500/4400 series controller for 1140 series

aaron7181
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Do you recommend 5500 series controller for 1140 or 4400 series, as 4400 series is cheaper.

and i guess for normal wireless functionality, and in future WCS integration 4400 series does the job.

any advice?

- SID

4 Replies 4

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

The 5500 will give you better performance. It has a faster CPU, more memory, and eight gigabit ports.

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the input.

I have a clarification regarding 5500 licensing.

Lets say I have 5500 series controller that has base license of 50 AP's.

1. Does this mean quantity of 50 AP can be increased till 250 AP's just by means of upgrading licenses?

2. Base license covers entire wireless functionality, startin with basic RF math like Self Healing, L3 Roaming,WCS integration etc like 4400 series controller.

3. Advanced license covers for remote AP's etc.

Am I right with the above 2 points?

-SID

One of the good things about the 4400 is that it's dirt cheap. And that's where it ends.

True, the 5500 can support a minimum of 12 LAPs and is very scalable. If you want to scale up to higher number of AP support, then you just purchase the license and away you go. It also has new features that only the 5500 will support. One of which is OfficeExtend.

If you you are interested in the support of this feature to your network then 5500 is the way to go.

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the input.

I have a clarification regarding 5500 licensing.

Lets say I have 5500 series controller that has base license of 50 AP's.

1. Does this mean quantity of 50 AP can be increased till 250 AP's just by means of upgrading licenses?

2. Base license covers entire wireless functionality, startin with basic RF math like Self Healing, L3 Roaming,WCS integration etc like 4400 series controller.

3. Advanced license covers for remote AP's etc.

Am I right with the above 2 points?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card