cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC / IE8 Web Authentication

Carl Harbeck
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone having trouble with IE8 clients and web authentication? My WLC is running the 5.2.178.0 software - not sure if it is a software update that I'll need to load or if it is simply a browser setting (have tried tweaking them a bit to no avail).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Carl,

IE8 is may not be supported, per the release notes :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn521780.html

It says here 6.0 or later, but can you try with 7.0 IE? There are changes in IE8 and I have seen issues with WCS and other software GUIs.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

palthainon
Level 1
Level 1

What kind of trouble? Give us more details so we can check out if its an IE issue or cisco web utility issue.

Alright, here is what happening:

1 - Connect to WLAN

2 - Open IE8

3 - Ignore certificate error and continue to next page

4 - Enter credentials, which it appears to have accepted since it redirects the browser to the default website

5 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Carl,

IE8 is may not be supported, per the release notes :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn521780.html

It says here 6.0 or later, but can you try with 7.0 IE? There are changes in IE8 and I have seen issues with WCS and other software GUIs.

I don't have a laptop around with 7, but I am sure it would have come up if there was an authentication issue. Was definitely thinking it was an IE8 compatability issue.

Is there a software release which is compatible with IE8 (Please forgive me ignorance, as I am still new to much of this)?

Thanks for the response!

I run IE8 and haven't had problems.

You say you get redirected to the authentication page, type in credentials, and then you get redirected to the original url? But that URL can not be displayed?

What happens when you try to go to another URL? Does it redirect you to the login page again, or does it keep saying page cannot be displayed?

It seems to take my credentials, and after accepting them we have it set to redirect the browser to our company's website. However, the browser fails to load that page.

Carl

You can revert to IE7 by going to add/remove programs, check Show Updates, then find ie8 and hit Uninstall. It will revert to 7.

Also, when it redirects to the company web site is the url blank? Check the DNS and proxy settings on the device. let us know.

Windows 7 machine - can't rollback to IE7.

It picks up address information from DHCP, but I am unable to ping the default gateway (after trying to authenticate as well).

Side note: my DHCP server is listed as 1.1.1.1 (which is also where the browser takes me for authentication).

Carl Harbeck
Level 1
Level 1

Went to WLC software v7.0.98.0 and this has been resolved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card